Doctor Dolittle leads a simple life as the village doctor in sleepy Puddleby-On-The-Marsh. He often undercharges his patients, or even treats them for free, so he is terribly poor. But one day, with the help of his wise old parrot Polynesia, he makes an extraordinary discovery: that he can talk to animals.
As news of his talent as an animal doctor spreads, animals across the world send messages asking for his help. So he borrows a leaky old ship and embarks on a thrilling quest to cure illness, spread kindness, and better understand animals everywhere. He is joined on his adventures by a loyal animal crew: Jip (a dog), Chee-Chee (a monkey), Dab Dab (a duck), and Gub Gub (an ever-hungry, cake-loving pig) –who together may even help him fix his money problems once and for all!
Hugh Lofting’s timeless classic celebrates the power of empathy and inspires audiences young and old to see the world through the eyes of animals. This funny, exciting new family musical is performed with flair and wit by Illyria in the great outdoors.
- The gates will open from 1pm (an hour before the performance start time) so you can get settled and enjoy our gardens before the performance starts.
- Please bring something to sit on - either a picnic rug or low-backed chairs.
- You are most welcome to bring a picnic but we would prefer it if you didn't bring glass on to the site.
- Our bar will be open from 1pm serving a range of alcoholic and soft drinks, hot drinks and snacks.
- Toilets will be available inside the Hall.
- There is level access to the seating area for this performance. Our toilets and the Victoria Suite bar are fully accessible via steps or a ramp.
You may also be interested in…
Gilbert and Sullivan's The Gondoliers - Friday 16 August 2024
The Hound of the Baskervilles - Sunday 18 August 2024