Tom Chaplin releases a stunning new album, Midpoint, September 2nd his first on BMG. Produced by Ethan Johns, this emotionally charged collection features thirteen brand new songs sung with beauty and grace.
At 43, Tom Chaplin now finds himself at an equilibrium. Or, in fact, a midpoint. On the title track, Tom’s voice soars, painting a picture of a man who is both bemused and confused with thoughts of his midlife. These feelings are beautifully captured in an evocative film starring Niamh Cusack, directed by Lucy Bridger.
Tom and his band will tour the UK this autumn starting here at De Montfort Hall.
Tom began writing these new songs two years ago when Keane’s 2019 Cause and Effect tour was rudely interrupted by the pandemic. The songs, all founded on reflection and imagination, were recorded in six weeks at Peter Gabriel’s Real World Studios in Bath and Paul Epworth’s The Church in North London.
While the songs share an emotional warmth first exhibited on Tom’s debut 2016 solo album The Wave, sonically this new music is a revelation.
“I was like, wow, these are bare compared to what I’m used to,” Tom admits. “And it did find it frightening because with Keane records there’s so much layering to thicken things up and fill up the spaces. But this is a sparse record.”
And all the better for it, letting the language and vocals reach gorgeous new heights. It’s wistful and reflective and totally engaging.
Coming as Tom enters mid-life, Midpoint is like nothing else. “There’s space for something nuanced that explores a part of life that everyone goes through,” Tom says. “If I can get some of that across and it can resonate with something people are feeling in in their lives-well, I’d be more than happy with that.”
1. This ticket is a personal, revocable license and, at all times, remains the property of the Promoters. This ticket must be surrendered to the Promoters upon request.
2. This ticket is sold on behalf of the Promoters to the Consumer. Any tickets purchased by business or traders will be cancelled.
3. Ticket resale is permitted at no more than the price you paid (face value + booking fee). Please only use the official resale partner www.twickets.live. Selling tickets through unauthorised resale platforms will breach our T&Cs and those tickets may be cancelled.
4. Ticket sales are limited to 6 per person. Only tickets purchased through approved agents are valid. The venue reserves the right to refuse admission.
5. Admission to this event is at all times subject to any terms, conditions or rules of the Promoter and the venue operator. You must also adhere to the Promoter or venue operator’s specific terms of entry and protocols surrounding Covid-19 – this could be, but is not limited to, an obligation to provide negative lateral flow tests or provide vaccination certificates. If you do not comply with any Promoter or venue terms, conditions or rules then the Promoter or venue operator may refuse admission or require you or other ticket holders to leave the venue and you will not be entitled to a refund.